Friday, 30 January 2009
Somerset West Station.
DAY 4 - The express has now been re-branded as the Northern Express. This must mean the management of SARCC are planning a Southern Express in the near future.
Thanks to Dylan for the pictures and his finger on the pulse!
Wednesday, 28 January 2009
Dylan was on scene to photograph the express.
Premium Express enters Van der Stel Station
Dylan says that the express is running full. One negative point, from the pictures, I could not see any toilets. The 2nd Business express between Pretoria and Johannesburg will have toilets as passengers requested this. Surely they could have learnt this from their Gauteng counterparts. As this trip is the longest yet of all the expresses, toilets should be a must. Maybe they will come later on.
Tuesday, 27 January 2009
Tuesday, 27 January
Ok it ran today. What happens is the normal metro from Strand access the station and drops off its pax. Then sets back and accesses loop line and pulls up opposite cabin. Premium Express then arrives and runs onto mainline to drop off pax and run to Strand. Express consists of 2 10M motorcoaches and 4 modified coaches. Painted white with a light brown stripe and "Premium Express" stencilled on the sides. Really looks good. 4 TCO's on duty!!!
Monday, 26 January 2009
Some of the information is from capemetrorail.co.za and also skyscrapercity.
Hopefully pictures of the train in service will be available soon. This is a great idea and is moving metrorail in a positive direction.
Ticket sales open for Premium Express customers
Thank you to all our prospective customers who had responded to our call for interest. We are proud to announce that the eagerly awaited train will be presented to the media and dignitaries on Friday 23 January 2009.
Although it will officially operate from Monday 2 February 2009, the train goes into service from Monday 26 January 2009 already. As promised, two days [Monday and Tuesday 19 and 20 January 2009] have been set aside exclusively for you to buy your February 2009 monthly tickets. Bookings open to the general public on Wednesday 21 January 2009.
Securing your ticket is as easy as 1-2-3:
- Call (021) 449 2422 during office hours to get a reference number.
- Present the reference number and positive ID (green bar-coded book/drivers license) at your origin station within 48 hours of issue to buy your ticket.
- If the reserved ticket is not claimed within 48 hours, it will become eligible for sale again.
All customers who present a valid January 2009 season ticket AND their brand new February 2009 monthly ticket, will be upgraded to travel on the Premium Express from 26 – 30 January 2009.
- Capacity of the Premium Express is 252 – tickets are sold on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Only monthly tickets will be sold
- Access options to stations include ‘drop & go’ or secure parking. The number of parking bays at stations is determined by the size of Metrorail’s precinct.
- Parking is on a first-come-first-served basis
- Fares are subject to change
- Every effort is made to do maintenance during weekends and overnight – where extensive maintenance is required it will be done during year end recess when demand is lowest. An alternative train will be provided during extended maintenance periods.
. Strand – 06:20
. Somerset West– 06:28
. Firgrove – 06:44
. Eerste River –06:53
. Kuils River–06:59
. Mutual – 07:19
. Cape Town– 07:32
. Cape Town – 17:00
. Mutual –17:12
. Kuils River –17:32
. Eerste River –17:43
. Firgrove – 17:54
. Somerset West –18:01
. Strand– 18:10
Tuesday, 6 January 2009
From the Cape Times:
The four were killed when their hired, white VW Polo collided with a train along Vlaeberg road in Stellenbosch on Monday afternoon.
This news comes from a contact in the Cape
Yes, a metro. 16:00 at the crossing just before the outer home signal before Lynedoch. Damaged metro tried to push back to Eersterivier but white smoke was observed pouring out of rear motor coach and smell of burning rubber. will post pics
Some pictures from the above contact.